Peer Worker, Early Intervention Psychosocial Support Response
Full-time and Part-time positions available based in Warrnambool, Portland and Hamilton
Join a nationally recognised provider of mental health and disability services with access to ongoing support and training/developmental opportunities, attractive salary and salary packaging benefits
You are a passionate, empathetic and caring individual who is looking to make an invaluable positive impact on the lives of others. You have a lived experience of mental health issues/disability and recovery and now are willing to help people to build their capacity and skills to recover.
You have the ability to build a strong rapport and trust, enabling you to bring hope, joy, empowerment and a sense of belonging to an individual.
If yes, this role is for you!
About this opportunity
The Early Intervention Psychosocial Support Response (EIPSR) program compliments clinical intervention and treatment by actively supporting the recovery of clients with emerging or existing psychiatric disability who do not qualify for or are waiting for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) services.
The EIPSR program is delivered as an outreach service in the home, office or the community by Wellways in partnership with South West Healthcare in the Great South Coast region.
The Peer Worker is responsible for supporting clients and families to maintain their independence, engage with the community and better understand and manage mental health conditions. The peer worker will work alongside recovery workers and play an important role in supporting engagement in the program during the intake and assessment process. The peer worker will utilise their lived experience according to peer values and intentional peer support practice and principles to develop and implement individually tailored recovery plans with significant focus in areas such as healthy lifestyle, social inclusion, autonomy, daily living skills and knowledge development.
What do you need?
- Certificate IV or above, or commensurate experience working in a support role for people with mental health issues and/or their families/carers
- Lived experience of recovery and experience in providing peer support
- Prior experience or knowledge of Individualised Client Support Packages (ICSP), Personal Helpers and Mentors Support (PHaMs) and Partners in Recovery (PIR) will be highly regarded
- A strong understanding of recovery and social inclusion principles and practice
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with consumers, carers and services
- Current and valid Driver's License and ability to undertake travel as required
- Satisfactory National police check & Working with Children's Check, prior to commencement is mandatory. You will also be subject to a Disability Worker Exclusion Scheme check. This is a check of an individual's name against a DHHS database that records individuals who pose a proven risk to the health, safety or welfare of people with a disability. If your name is on the list, you will be ineligible to work for Wellways Australia.
We are a value based organisation. We stand for Honesty, Acceptance, Fairness, Commitment, Participation.
Wellways Australia is a leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to ensuring all Australians lead active and fulfilling lives in their community. We work with individuals, families and the community to help them imagine and achieve better lives. We advocate for change to make sure people can access the best possible care and information when they need it. We provide a wide range of services and assistance for people with mental health issues, disabilities, youth and older Australians and those requiring community care.
How to apply
To apply and to download a copy of the position description please visit our Careers page http://wellways.recruitmenthub.com.au & enter ref code: 4561343. For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact Frank Mikhail, Community, Youth & Family Services Manager on 0437 732 249.
Applications close 21 February 2019 COB
"Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with a lived experience are encouraged to apply"
Wellways Australia Limited is committed to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable people. All applicants applying for roles within Wellways must undergo a screening process prior to their successful appointment.