Community Development Worker - Suicide Prevention
The Way Back Support Services
- Contribute to the support and treatment of some of the most vulnerable in our communities, together we can make a difference
- Part-time (0.6) fixed-term position until 30th June 2022 based in Cairns, North Queensland
- $72k (pro rata) + superannuation + salary packaging benefits + leave loading
- An opportunity to apply your skills to build capacity within the community to support those at risk of suicide
About this opportunity
The Community Development Project Worker role is an exciting opportunity to help build the capacity, skills and knowledge of families, friends, workplaces and the community to respond to distress or suicide concerns. The primary purpose of the Community Development Worker is to coordinate and deliver the provision of Suicide Prevention Gatekeeper initiatives, education and awareness-raising activities to local communities in the Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service Catchment.
The Community Development Project Worker will work with community and sporting groups to identify community champions to encourage people to speak up about suicide and to feel more willing and able to support someone during a time of distress or crisis.
The objectives of the Suicide Prevention Community Gatekeeper Training initiative are to:
- Raise suicide awareness among key members of local communities, or community ‘gatekeepers', who may come into contact with people in mental distress
- Provide suicide prevention skills to key members of local communities, or community ‘gatekeepers', who may come into contact with people in mental distress
- Increase the number of people [who are at risk of suicide] contacting ‘Community Gatekeepers' and subsequently being connected to appropriate mental health services and/or supports
Key responsibilities of the role will include:
- Identify key community members who members of the target cohort/s would likely approach if they were experiencing distress or suicidal ideation to be community gatekeepers
- Train identified community gatekeepers using evidence-based and culturally appropriate gatekeeper training courses
- Undertake community-led suicide awareness activities which promote community gatekeepers and raise suicide awareness generally
As the ideal candidate, you will possess the following:
- Relevant qualifications or commensurate experience in working in a support role for people with a mental illness, generally a Certificate IV qualification
- extensive experience in Community Development and/or Suicide Prevention
- Experience consulting and working collaboratively with communities and other stakeholders
- Experience in the delivery of community development, education and capacity building initiatives, with a particular emphasis on working with diverse communities and groups
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in educational and community development suicide prevention work
- The ability to communicate and model a vision that generates enthusiasm and commitment.
- A current valid Driver's License
- A satisfactory Police Records Check and Blue and Yellow Cards, prior to commencement
To view the full position description and apply for this position, please visit our careers page: http://wellways.recruitmenthub.com.au/Vacancies & enter ref code: 5386262
Hit the Apply Now button at the bottom of the page to submit your application. Please ensure each mandatory question is completed before uploading your documentation.
For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact Simon Stewart - North Queensland Regional Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close 9th March 2021
Candidates will be interviewed and selected prior to the closing date. Please note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with a lived experience are encouraged to apply.
Wellways Australia Limited is committed to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable people. All applicants applying for roles within Wellways must undergo a screening process prior to their successful appointment.