Program Worker - Opening Doors
- Full time, fixed term until 28 September 2018 opportunity based in St Kilda East
- Rewarding role in a residential rehabilitation setting, facilitating and supporting the transition to independent living
- Work within a fixed fortnightly roster which may include sleepover shifts
- Access to ongoing, free professional guidance and counselling
- Attractive salary packaging benefits available
About this opportunity
Opening Doors is run in partnership with Alfred Health and is staffed on a 24/7 basis. It is a unique program with an integrated model of care. There are 19 beds, 5 of which are CCU (Community Care Unit - Alfred Psychiatry). Participants generally have clinical case management provided through Alfred Psychiatry and the length of stay is usually 18 months. Participants at Opening Doors are allocated a Wellways key worker to assist them to identify their goals and focus on recovery and integration back into the community.
As a Program Worker, you will work within the psychosocial rehabilitation model to support our participants in various practical ways to develop and maintain skills with daily living, access services and encourage social inclusion. You will facilitate and assist individuals to develop skills for independent living as part of their recovery journey. You will also be required to run unit and group meetings and run group programs.
As the ideal candidate, you will possess the following:
- Qualifications in Social Science or similar discipline or relevant experience
- A strong understanding of mental health issues and the psychosocial rehabilitation model
- Experience working with people with mental health issues, dual diagnosis and complex needs with a recovery orientation (preferably in a residential setting)
- Willingness to work as part of a rotating roster (may include sleepover shifts)
- Demonstrated experience in building strong partnerships and working in collaboration with other services
- Ability to work with culturally and linguistically diverse communities and individuals
- A current valid Driver's License, National Police Check and Working With Children Check (or willing to obtain prior to commencement)
Wellways as we are now known, works with people with mental illness and other psychosocial disabilities, their families and friends to improve their wellbeing and to gain inclusion into communities. We provide this support through recovery, education and advocacy programs and provide a range of innovative rehabilitation programs. We currently employ over 450 staff and work across multiple sites within Victoria, Tasmania, New South Wales, Queensland and the ACT.
How to apply
To apply and to download a copy of the position description please visit our careers website at https://www.wellways.org/careers-wellways.
For a confidential discussion about the role, we encourage you to contact Kerri Griffin-Karasawa - Coordinator, Opening Doors on 0429 592 242.
Applications close Friday 26 March, 10:00pm
Wellways Australia Limited is committed to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable people.
All applicants applying for roles within Wellways must undergo a screening process prior to their successful appointment.